Cais das Colunas
Cais das Colunas is one of Lisbon's most famous landmarks. In the past it has welcomed many celebrities and heads of state.
Cais das colunas is located in Praça do Comércio, in the historical centre of Lisbon, and its marble steps were the noble entrance of the city, where landed heads of state and other prominent figures. It allowed access to the cacilheiros or other boats that make the trajectory between Praça do Comércio and the south bank of the river Tagus.
Its name is due to the two pillars erected in the riverside area of the Commerce Square. This is a work of the architect Eugénio dos Santos, concreted during the reconstruction of the city, after the earthquake of 1755. The pillars, which lead the marble steps down to the Tagus, are of Masonic inspiration and represent the two pillars of the temple of Solomon.
Lisbon offers so many places to chill and watch a cool sunset. One of them is directly by the river in Praça do Comércio, near Cais das Colunas, named after the two pillars where boats used to dock. Including HMS Britannia in all its glory, when Queen Elizabeth II visited Lisbon in 1957, making it a noble entrance to the city. History aside, this always busy and lively place attracts tourists and locals alike, especially to the small sandy beach on its side, where people simply lie down on their towels while having ice cream, listening to street music played nearby and watching the sun setting in golden hues behind the bridge. It is a must on a sunny, lazy afternoon. Kind of hippy and hipster at the same time.